About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sepk'eec'a Klamath! Animals, Birds, Nature, and Scenery Galore!

 Sepk'eec'a means "thank you" in the language of the Klamath tribes of Southern Oregon.  And when I was getting ready to post these photos of my second amazing visit to the Lower Klamath and Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuges (NWR), I really wanted to pay homage to the original inhabitants of this region from which the Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuge Complex that includes these two NWRs gets it's name. 

As mentioned, this was my second visit to Lower Klamath and Tule Lake and each experience was so incredibly exciting and fulfilling and different!  You have to check out the photos from my first visit at the beginning of April 2017!  



 This time I wanted to try to go earlier in the year and was watching the weather very closely to find a window in which I could safely drive while avoiding snow and ice.  I found a window and off I went.  I have to drive pretty much through the night to be there just at dawn when animals are active to maximize my experience!  My plan was sound and I passed Mt. Shasta in the dark and hit the turnoff from Hwy 97 to Hwy 161, which runs along the California/Oregon border and along the Lower Klamath NWR, just at sunrise. 

And a gorgeous sunrise it was!





Besides the cows that were grazing peacefully, there were plenty of hawks getting ready to hunt. 
It was still pretty dark when I took these photos so they're a bit grainy, but clear. 



I think he felt it was too early for closeups, so off he flew! 


I turned onto the refuge road and was rewarded with my very first bald eagle sighting!  



And of course, more hawks waiting for prey. 



Now that it was light, I could see the beautiful, snowy peaks of Mt. Shasta watching over the refuge. 


And of course, there were many Red-winged Blackbirds singing their boisterous songs while flitting around.  



I was blessed to see some critters that I did not see my last time here...
First, a flock of pheasants!




And then an entire pack of coyotes!! 


There were about 4-6 that I could see.  It was sooooo cool!


And one field over, was another Bald Eagle sitting near some groundwater. 



It's so amazing to be there so early in the morning.  The air is so crisp and clear and everything is just a wonder to the eyes, ears, and senses. It's so relaxing and peaceful.



Another Bald Eagle, this one in flight. 


There were so many Eagles up here that they were even just sitting on the road!  This Baldie was sitting with a Raven couple and just as I tried to get a shot out my window without scaring them off, a Golden flew overhead!!  So amazing!


Bald Eagle with Mount Shasta landscape


Another beauty of a hawk.  They love to sit on the signs and watch for prey!


Love this cool photo!  The tree branches capturing the Bald Eagle looked amazing. 




This is definitely the place to be if you love Raptors!


Not much snow which was one reason I was able to make the drive in January.  But there was still some snow and ice in the canals. 


OMG, I love this next photo.  One of my favorite things about National Wildlife Refuges are the cool barren trees in the water.  


I headed out to Tule Lake and saw a covey of Quail on the side of the road. 


Along with some beautiful deer just up the hillside. 



Next post we'll hit up Tule Lake which was gorgeous.

Ginaatdal' gepgi!
(Come this way! in Klamath)  

xoxo

Nikon d3300