About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Long Road Home - Monte to Sacramento With a Slight Detour

Thanks to the ghosts, I didn't get much sleep until the wee hours of the morning.  So when I heard the sweet lowing of cows, I assumed it was a deep, deep dream.  Until I heard the not so sweet shouting of my dearest sister-in-law, Verna, trying to chase the cattle out of Ida's front yard.  It seems somehow the entire heard got out and thought the front lawn looked like a much better pasture.  I wanted to wake up...I really did!  

But it was not happening.

So an hour after I had planned to get up, I finally climbed out of bed and packed up my stuff for the long drive home. 


I headed downstairs to find that Angela had gone to town to get me a present.  That present was the best damn smoothie I have EVER had!  It was a blueberry Red Bull smoothie and it was So. Damn. Delicious.  If there was a place nearby I'd be getting one every day.

After saying goodbye and snapping this photo 
(WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE I GOT OF VERNA!  NO GOOD!),

Angela walked me to my car, we hugged and cried, and off I went.

I debated over which way I wanted to go home...I even turned around in a few places trying to decide where to go.  I snapped one last photo near Monte.  Next time I want to stop at this defunct nuclear power plant.  


I stopped in this little town to go into the grocery store and "rest".  I wish I could remember the name, but I can't.  

Love the colorful decay.

I got back on the road and headed out of town. There was a bunch of wetlands of some sort and a little parking lot, so I decided to pull in for a look see. 

I was so glad I did!  Just as I was about to pull back on the road, I noticed a huge bird in one the trees.  I c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y backed my car up as close as I dared (keeping in mine the poor tormented hawk/eagle from my drive up).  I rolled my window down and started snapping away. 

DEFINITELY a golden eagle!  Yay!!!

Blurry/Grainy but still...

This time, I didn't make it fly away.  But a damn truck pulling a boat driving too fast for the dirt parking lot did.  

But it did make for some cool pics.


I stopped briefly at Fort Columbia and wish I could have taken more time to explore, but there just wasn't enough time on this quick trip.  

Colors enhanced for weirdness.




I took some cool pictures while driving across the bridge into Oregon.  
Bad girl. 


It's just so cool.  The bridge, Astoria...it's all amazing looking.  Another place on my list to actually spend some time in. I needed another "rest" so I stopped at the park under the Megler Astoria Bridge.  So very cool. 
There is a maritime memorial.

Next I planned to stop at Cannon Beach to see the famous Haystack Rock.  I took the opportunity to get a good stroll in.  

It was crazy packed with people though. 

Although you couldn't tell it from this shot.

The Tillamook Head lighthouse is really eye-catching, sitting on it's own little island out to sea.

Walking down the beach, I saw a familiar sight.  LOL!  
This must be a thing in Washington and Oregon!  
Although this one looks more like a blimp or something.  haha

I love this photo.  I want this beach.

This shot is from just a bit further down the coast, a vista point.  It's the sunny side of Haystack Rock.


Time was becoming of the essence as they say.  I decided that, no matter how alluring, I would try not to stop.  It lasted for awhile.  Then I had to stop for some reason and saw these cool looking small sea stacks which were somewhere in Tillamook Bay.



Oh yeah...that's why I stopped.  LOL!  I saw Rick Grimes' post-zombie-apocalyptic business venture...Stuff and Things.  

After that, I decided I really, really had to get going so I cut through Oregon to get back on the 5.  I had to go through Salem and saw another cool pop-culture reference:


KEEP CALM 
AND 
CHIVE ON

The end. 

Because the rest was me driving my little Honda like a race car and getting home in near record time.  

Such an amazing weekend!!

xoxo