About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Orioles @ Athletics 4/28/13

My seat was straight above the 330 mark; 2nd row - 2nd deck
As anyone who knows me (or has looked at this blog) knows, my first team that I cheered for in baseball was the Baltimore Orioles.

And I'll say the reason again...when I was a junior in high school, I watched the World Series that year and fell in love with a pair of gorgeous blue eyes.  They belonged to Cal Ripken Jr and I was hooked...not just on Cal and the Orioles, but on baseball in general.


When I turned 21 after having my baby daughter, it occurred to me that I could actually drive to the Bay Area (which seemed like worlds away back then) and go to baseball games in person.  Of course I started going to see the Orioles whenever they came to Oakland.

My baby daughter grew up to be a staunch Oakland Athletics fan and we were frequently on television at those games.  My, frankly, ADORABLE daughter dressed in her A's gear beside a tall (at that time skinny) blonde who wasn't too bad looking.  LOL  Those were the good old days.

My point (and I do have one) is that every year I try to go to at least one Orioles game.  Nowadays (and for a long time) the Athletics have become my favorite team and I support them wholeheartedly.  But the O's are my East Coast team and 2nd favorite.

Imagine my dismay when I arrived at the Coliseum to find that there was no batting practice.  Totally unsurprising when one thought about the fact that the A's never have open BP anymore (BOO!!!) and the O's were coming off beating the A's the last 3 games. But I was still majorly bummed.

So without further ado, here are a bunch of pictures , mostly from far away.  To further compound things, I had the wrong camera lens.  haha






























My section, or at least the people around me, seemed to be a bit bandwagonny.  I am well aware that isn't a word, but I can't think of another way to describe them.  They just didn't seem to know that much about baseball in general and the A's specifically.

Worse, the crazy bitches in the row below me thought it would be the BEST.THING.EVER to start the damn wave.  Uhhhggggg.  So I was treated to them running up and down the front row of our section trying to get the others to do it too.  It was annoying to say the least.
I don't know who this little cutie was, but he was sporting the wristbands that the A's gave to kids. And it was little league day (which in part explains all the fans who weren't that knowledgeable about the A's) which is why he's wearing a Red Sox hat.

 The seagulls were impatient (as always) for the extra-inning game to end.  They want their dinner!
And then!  In a crazy, heartstopping play...the A's win! On a throwing error by Orioles phenom Manny Machado, Eric Sogard (NERDS RULE) was safe at 3rd and - after what seemed like forever - realized he should be racing for home!  There's a really good write up on the A's site.





So as they say in Oakland...

Come for the game.
Stay for the PIE!
 And what goes better with pie than Gatorade!



xoxo