About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day 2013

EVERY NAME HAS A FACE



What Heroes Gave ~~ Roger Robicheau
Each donned their uniform to be    Defenders of our liberty

Their mission sure, their spirits bright   Guard freedom’s home, be brave to fight

One final day each faced their call   Each gave their best enduring all

Deep down inside we should all feel   What heroes gave, their cost so real

We must stay thankful, grateful of   The gift of freedom through their love

Their loved ones bore the gravest pain   What we can’t know, some now sustain

To God I pray their pain will cease   And each will find long-lasting peace

Remember this from year to year   What heroes gave – shan’t disappear

We’ll never let their special day   Their time for honor slip away

These brave fought for a nation free   If not for them, where would we be?


I had the opportunity to visit the Dignity Memorial today.  It is a replica of the Vietnam Veteran's memorial in Washington DC.  I know this makes me sound stupid, but I was amazed at the number of people there who had lost loved ones in Vietnam. 

People who were excitedly but reverently finding names in the wall, pointing to them, photographing them, making etchings of them. People who brought their children and were telling them stories of their lost Uncle. People who brought letters, cards, wreaths, flowers...  

I had two brothers who fought in Vietnam.  One "in country" in the Army infantry and one in the Navy who was based on a Destroyer off the Vietnam coast. I'm grateful that they came home.  I'm grateful that they served their country.

God bless all the soldiers and their families.  All gave some, some gave all.  Never forget.





 These letters were left for family members of the departed.  Hoping to make contact and tell their story.
  


  
xoxo