About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Washington Road Trip: Family Time & Tacoma's Point Defiance

It's a few days since my last post and my beloved brother is still in the hospital, still on a ventilator, and still not out of the woods.  But!  He has responded to my sister IL and niece and the doctors have said he is stable and given some hope, so I feel up to posting part number 2 of my trip.  To see the photos and story of my drive to Montesano, click this sentence.

I'm starting off with a perfectly hideous photo of myself with some of my family.  I think they all look freaking adorable though so I wanted to post it. Even the back of Ford's head and Angela's crazy face are adorable!  And Verna and Lincoln are the cutest.

While we were waiting for Sabrina, Lee, and the kids to arrive, Verna gave me a ride around the "back forty".  Which was amazing!  If I won the lottery, I would buy this entire lot. This is us on Trinity's infamous golf cart.  Which, again, we managed to have a tire problem on.  LOL!

The 'back forty' runs along the back of Ida's property and down to the Chehalis River.  We came around a corner by the horse paddocks and face to face with a gorgeous deer!




 We didn't have time to stop and walk around or take pictures, and I meant to go back during my time up there, but the weather didn't allow it.  Next time!

We got back to the house just as Lee, Sabrina, and the kids pulled up with their new, beautiful German Shepherd puppy, Elsa. Here is my beautiful grand-niece, Trinity, with her new furbaby.
 From left to right: Lincoln, Ford, Elsa, Trinity, and Logan

 Elsa with Sabrina.

After playing with the puppy for awhile and catching up, we all set out in a two-car caravan for the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, about a 1.5 hour drive Northeast.

Originally opened in 1905, this zoo has been continuously updated to provide top-tier enclosures for the animals living there.  They also are involved in the conservation of red wolves and have a lot of educational programs.

I know that zoos are an 'iffy' subject for many, but I myself am torn.  I believe that they should be highly regulated and held to very high standards but I also believe that many good zoos provide a valuable role in conservation and education.  Some animals, like the Cheetah, are going to be gone from the wild soon, thanks to humans. Soon people will only know of this majestic creature in media if conservationists, including zoos, are not successful in their efforts.

But back to more happy topics...Logan!



It was such a brilliant day!  Who says it only rains in the Pacific Northwest?  :)  This zoo is not only full of gorgeous, amazing animals, but also with a variety of colorful, eye-catching plants and flowers.



We spent quite a bit of time watching the Meerkats.  And the Meerkats spent quite a bit of time watching a crow that was perched at the top of their exhibit.


This baby just couldn't take his eyes off of him!
 And the guy behind him couldn't take his eyes off of the baby.

Until two more babies began squabbling and play-fighting.


And then they hugged it out!

In the meantime, crow watch continued. The baby moved to a different spot to have a more comfortable view.


The crow was not particularly interested in the meerkats, but their instincts tell them to be wary of this possible predator.

Besides the allures of nature, the zoo was also having a special Pokemon Go event where they had dropped lures at all the pokestops around the zoo.  It added to the fun!  Just ask Logan! Sabrina wanted to take a picture of him in the Kids Zone, but it's a Cloyster!
 He finally gave in compromised.

I'm thinking Mom got a better picture, but I liked observing the Logan in his natural habitat. =D

I also loved this vista of a huge ship sailing by in the distance on Puget Sound.

But meanwhile, back inside the Kids Zone, there were GOATS!


No, not that guy actually, but I couldn't resist.  Haha.  These guys.



Yep, get ready for some flower photos.  There were some beautiful Rudbeckia Hirtas that I just couldn't resist. And neither could this hovering bee.
 Also known as a Brown- or Black-eyed Susan.

And it's amazing close relative, the Rudbeckia Laciniata.  Better known as Green-headed Coneflower.

I absolutely adore these next two photos.  There was a very busy bumble bee working on some truly lovely pink flowers.  The combination along with some amazing depth in the macro photography created a very artistic look, in my opinion.  Thanks bumblee!


We all met up by the park in the middle while we got some food and decided where to go next.  It was fun watching the kids play and roll down the steep hill. 

This statue is really nice from the top of the hill viewed from the front.  But from below?  Holy crap!!  And Logan gave into our pressuring him to take this photo.  Yes, I am the Worst. Aunt. Ever.  LOL!

I laugh every damn time I look at it!  I can't wait to get back up there and spend some more time with those crazy kids, and my wonderful family!  

I spoke with Angela a little bit ago.  Happy Birthday Angel!!  She gave the most wonderful update on my big brother and said he is now breathing on his own and is able to talk and be ornery like he likes to be!  Yay!!!

I love my big brother sooooooo much!!


xoxo

Nikon D3300