About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Trip to Montesano, Washington - 2016

Not going to lie...today has been a hard day.  My oldest brother, Robert (or Bob as he's known in Washington) had to have emergency surgery for a burst appendix and he isn't doing well today.  I went up to see him just after his birthday last year (that is so weird to say as it's just after New Year's) so, in his honor, and out of my love for him, I'm going to post the photos from that trip.

As usual, I crammed a LOT into a very brief trip.  12-14 hour drive each way, a blown-up phone, and 2 1/2 days of family time.  

So here is day one - The Drive:

I wanted to start very early in the night/morning, but due to the health problems I've been 'enjoying' since March of 2016, it didn't happen.  However, I did get to the Sutter Buttes just in time for sunrise!



Next stop:  Weed Airport rest area, home of a thousand blackbirds.

Talk about an angry bird!





Due to the numerous forest fires burning, Mount Shasta and Black Butte were shrouded in haze.  


Notice all the mounds at the bottom of the picture...it's such a fascinating geological area! 

Here's another view of the ones to the northwest of the mountain. 



Next stop was the Medford LDS Temple, which: Newsflash!  Is not actually in Medford, Oregon!

It's a pretty building, but it didn't have the grandiose look that I usually expect from LDS temples.  /shallow 



 There was also a really cool abandoned-looking ranch just down the road that I couldn't resist!



Such a beautiful day!

Next I made a quick detour to drive by Table Mountain.  I will go to hike this place next summer!




Looking south was an awesome view of Mt. Mcloughlin. 


Time was really dragging for reasons I will not go into here.  So I tried to not stop until I got to the Portland LDS temple.  

This is an absolutely stunning temple; one of the most gorgeous in my opinion.  And it's surrounded by beautiful woods and gardens.  So I took a lot of pictures (including some for others as it turns out) in this gorgeous and spiritual setting.


I'm going to do a more in-depth post about LDS temples that I've visited so I won't post all my photos here.  Just a few to illustrate it's beauty.




One last photo of a beautiful flower...

...and then I had to hit the road!!

I was hours late with a dead phone.  And then to compound matters, I got a little lost! Booo!  And couldn't call anyone.  I finally made it about 3 hours behind schedule with a very anxious niece and daughter waiting for word of me!  

But I made it into the arms of my loving family, safe and sound.  

xoxo

Nikon D3300