About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Travelogue: Marin Headlands - Rodeo Beach & Lagoon

There are no shortages of brilliant things to see and do if you visit the Marin Headlands just north of San Francisco.  We covered just one of the places that would interest the history buffs out there, and now we head on down the road (literally) back to sea level to explore beautiful Rodeo Beach and Lagoon. 


Rodeo Beach  is a beautiful dark-sand beach with a LOT to see and do.  I'm not going to lie...I only did like 1% of what is available at this awesome location.  For more complete coverage, please check out the National Park Service website for Fort Cronkhite.

The 1% I did involved walking along the beach and part way along the trail around the gorgeous Rodeo Lagoon.  And taking photos of course!  

You can surf.  Or watch surfers (like I did)!




Between the beach and the lagoon is a cool bridge which leads onto the natural "land bridge" created by the beach between the Pacific Ocean and the Rodeo Lagoon.  I was so happy that some of the fog was lingering as it gave my photos a little extra mystery. 


What a beautiful spot!




This next photo is not black and white, but it may as well be.  

The lagoon was mostly smooth as a mirror, but when I was trying to get a shot of this Cormorant perched on an underwater fence post, a slight breeze picked up and then ripples it created formed a stunning background!



There is a lovely fence that separates the beach from the lagoon.  With the residual fog, it made for a really cool photo as it meanders down the beach. 

Any place with water is my happy place, but even better when it's the ocean!

The surf was pretty good for the surfers that were out!  Waves were about 4-5 feet.

Did you know there are many different types of Sea Gulls?  This lovely is called a Herring Gull. 

In the next few photos, you can see that the beach has patches of beautifully colored pebbles, some looking like agates.  Gorgeous!



Next time, I will be doing more things to report on, such as visiting the Raptor Center and Marine Mammal Center.  Plus there was a very intriguing hike that a LOT of folks were embarking on.  I will be back and spending at least the whole day in the headlands!  

Definitely a wonderful place to spend some time if you're visiting the San Francisco Bay Area. 

xoxo

Nikon D3300