About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Sacramento Travelogue-Walking the American River Trail - Lower/Upper Sunrise

I love a good little walk on a weekend morning.  To me, it's a form of meditation as well as exercise and, luckily, Sacramento is home to the beautiful Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail, better known as the American River Bike Trail.  

This gorgeous trail is 32 miles of winding river with a fascinating riparian zone filled with gorgeous flora and fauna.  It certainly makes a morning walk a very interesting prospect. 

On this particular April morning, I decided to stick close to home and take a walk along what is known as the Lower and Upper Sunrise area, so named because the access and egress is off of Sunrise Boulevard in Rancho Cordova.  

To get there, take Highway 50 East (from Downtown Sacramento) to the Sunrise Blvd exit.  Turn left onto Sunrise to go North.  You will pass a Bel Air shopping center on your right (about 5 lights down).  Just after, get ready to turn right into the park entrance.  If you cross the river, you've gone too far.  

I decided to go left to the Lower Sunrise parking area to begin my walk.  From the parking lot, you cross a lovely little bike/pedestrian bridge over the river.  If you gaze through the spiderwebs, you'll see the cars going by on Sunrise Blvd. 


Reflections of a Cormorant

After crossing the bridge, you'll find a little meadow that is often home to critters such as the Canadian geese hanging out below. 

I turned to the right to walk towards the Upper Sunrise area as I wanted to get some photos of the Fair Oaks Bridge.  Because of the riparian zone, it's hard to believe that there is a serious drought going on!  

There were quite a few feathered friends hanging around.  Underneath the Sunrise bridge is a prime fishing area for the egrets.

Taking flight

Ahhhh, there she is.  

I just love the contrast of the bleached looking rocks against their mossy, underwater counterparts.  

I didn't catch any egrets snacking, but the evidence of past meals was hard to miss. Did you know that Chinook salmon have mouths full of sharp teeth?  Now you do. 

Duck butts

Shine bright like a diamond! The water reflecting the sun had so many cool textures!

Babies!!  One of the best things about April. 

I just love the silhouette of this sweet family against the sparkling water. 

And the colors and textures of these beautiful creatures rival anything else Mother Nature has to offer.

Overhead, a couple of egrets were circling, impatiently waiting for this intrusive human to abandon their hunting grounds.  


The thing I've discovered about the underside of bridges is that they usually have something cool.  This one has gorgeous colors. 

I walked back by way of a poppy filled meadow.  I couldn't resist trying to get some closeups of our brilliant State flower.






This is the meadow on the other side of the pedestrian/bike bridge.  With more geese.  They should change their name to California geese since we have so many here year round. 

Back on the bridge, I was treated to the sight of a flock of pigeons taking off from the meadow.  Having the little duck family in the background made it more special.

Under the bridge...



I wish this photo wasn't blurry.  I love the mirror image and I just caught the egret at the right moment. *cries* I had my manual lens on and couldn't focus fast enough.

A very common sight around the river, and even miles away from the river, are the wild turkeys.  I was happy to see this guy, because my walk just wouldn't have been complete. 



Walk over and chores beckoning, I reluctantly got in my car to head home.  As I drove out to resume life, two fat squirrels merrily sent me on my way.  Of course I stopped the car to take some pictures of them.  I love squirrels. 



xoxo