About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

California Travelogue - Eat Real Fest and Oakland's Jack London Square 2014

"Seize the moment!  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waived off the dessert cart."
~~Erma Bombeck

Have I ever mentioned that I like food?  And, even more than liking food, I like trying new food.  It's a thrill to see a new Food Truck or vendor somewhere!  So I love "foodie" events, whether they be casual or a little bit (maybe not too) fancy.

Oakland has a wonderful event called Eat Real Fest.  One of the things that makes it great, aside from a huge number of vendors, is they limit the cost of each item so that you can try more things without breaking the bank.  Each item costs no more than $8

And!  It's held in beautiful Jack London Square, so there is amazing people watching and other things to see and do besides just walk and eat.

In case you didn't know, Jack London Square is located near the Port of Oakland.


I got there somewhat late since I had to drive an hour and a half, but I was lucky to find a parking spot not too far away.  My walk to the actual event took me past the port where I spied a pelican!


Along the way I passed the pier where the ferries come to collect your and whisk you away to other parts of the Bay.  I like this Catamaran.

I hadn't eaten anything all day (saving room!) so I headed for my favorite truck and the surely delicious food they always have!  
The Chairman!


I got two steamed buns!  Well that's what they tell me anyway. ;-}  Yum, steamed baos filled with delicious pork belly and turmeric-pickled daikon on the right and crispy miso tofu with baby bok choy on the left.

The pork belly is the best thing in the world. I'm telling you.

I was loving my awesome seat beside the harbor, watching the people and sailboats. Although there was a marine layer, it was a wonderful, warm day.

I want this pirate ship!!

I walked around for a bit and then decided to partake of some grits.  I love grits.  And when they come with fresh, local cheese they're irresistible!  These are from Sugarfoot Grits.

With all that creamy deliciousness in my stomach, I spent the next couple of hours walking around and checking out the sites. Including the trains that come right down the street.

And the flowers that grow here and there.

I wanted to get some "portable" desserts to save for later (I knew they were going to run out before I was ready to eat again!) so I made my way to another cluster of vendors.  I had been eyeing the Creme Brulee Cart - their "Golden Ticket" looked to die for.  And it was!

I also hit up Simply Mochi, which had a wide selection of interesting flavors.  I got creamy lemon and Nutella.  Yum.

With my portable dessert, I spent the next hour walking around taking photos. Lots of interesting sights at Jack London Square.

Like bicycles on poles!






This truly beautiful statue is part of a larger project by the artist, Osprey Orielle Lake.  This is one of three that currently exist.  The other two are in Hamburg, Germany and Majorca, Spain.

More artwork lines the walkways.  These colorful tiles were made by the community and speak to the heart and soul as well as the eyes.


Walk past the fountain and have a seat on the patio at Plank and...

 ...watch folks fling bocce balls!

And of course there are palm trees.  It's California!

It was time for me to head back.

I walked through ports and pillars...


...and past the boats of heroes.


And called it a very good day.

xoxo