About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Monday, April 19, 2021

Cool Pics From My Coolpix! - Late Spring Birding at Vic Fazio Yolo County California April 2020

Before I got into birdwatching several years ago, I saw so many black birds in California and didn't really look.  Sure I thought they were cute and all, but I didn't really stop to notice that some were different than others.  And all are super fun to watch and hear!


There are 11 types of Blackbirds that reside in California?  At least according to Bird Watching HQ. 

The list only includes birds from the Icteridae family so I guess there may be even more black birds out there.  Fascinatingly, this list includes Orioles! I never ever would have thought that Orioles were considered "black birds" but they are in the Icteridae family, so I guess science rules!  

I have been lucky enough to see and photograph at least six types:  Red-winged Blackbird (everywhere), Tri-colored Blackbird (At Tule Lake NWR), Great-tailed Grackle (Central & SoCal), Brown-headed Cowbird (Yolo County), Yellow-headed Blackbird (Modoc County) - chowing down on a cattail -  and even a female Bullock's Oriole in Central California at a rest stop on I-5 near Kettleman City!

Female Bullock's Oriole in Central California

But my mind was well and truly blown when I ventured into the Vic Fazio Wildlife Area in Yolo County on this beautiful day and saw HUNDREDS of Yellow-headed Blackbirds!  I am not kidding when I say that the one in Modoc was my first and last since then.  These gorgeous big birds are striking so you really can't forget them.  

And I'll never forget the sight of all of these gorgeous birds all over the place!

Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Vic Fazio Wildlife Are Yolo County California

Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Vic Fazio Wildlife Are Yolo County California

Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Vic Fazio Wildlife Are Yolo County California

And of course, there were many, egrets of different types hanging around per usual.  Always a welcome sight!

Egret and duck

Flying Egret above Canal and Ducks

Egret

I loved the way these circles looked after the rice paddy was freshly tilled. 

West Sacramento Yolo County California

Sacramento seen from a distance. 

Sacramento California

More gorgeous Yellow-headed Blackbirds!
Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Vic Fazio Wildlife Are Yolo County California

Purple Thistle

And there were several Great Blue Herons that were just happy to have their photo taken!  Wow!

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

This guy's tail feathers look...short?  I don't know if I'm right or if this means anything. 

Great Blue Heron

Egret

Egret

Great Blue Heron

Thistle Plant with Beautiful Leaves

Great Egret

Flying Heron or Egret

Red-winged Blackbird at Sunset

White-faced Ibis

White-faced Ibis

White-faced Ibis

Cinnamon Teal 

Cinnamon Teal Duck


Cormorant

Cormorant 

Cormorant

 Squawking away!  I love Cormorants!

I have to say, this little, old Nikon Coolpix L100 takes some pretty good shots!  And it has a 10x optical zoom which is nice.  :)  I'll stick with my D600 for most shots, but this is a nice little backup!

xoxo

Nikon Coolpix L100