About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Monday, April 8, 2019

Birds and Bunnies of Salton Sea in Coachella Valley California

Previous Posts:



In between seeing the sights of the Coachella Valley and heading to North of the Borrega badlands to see the blooms, I went birdwatching!  

My first stop was the Wister Unit of the Imperial Wildlife Area.  Just off the highway shortly before the turnoff, I spotted my first Burrowing Owl!  And when I say singular, I mean singular.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice the little guy at the bottom of the photo until I was doing post-production.  :-( 



At the fishing pond, I saw probably a hundred adorable Ruddy Ducks


And two or three Grebes.  Western Grebes I think?


And this guy.  Who was so quick and elusive to my lens!  He quickly trotted into the brush every I raised my camera.  And, to be honest, I was mystified as to what this guy was.  There were actually about 3-5 of them but he was the only one that came into full view.  

Looks like a large blackbird, but take my word for it...it was no blackbird.  It was much larger (but smaller than a crow) and had a much longer, sharper beak.  Also he had a beautiful fanned tail like I had never seen before. 


I Googled it after I got home and it's a Great-tailed Grackle!  A cool-looking bird with a cool name.  




There were several people fishing in the pond which made for a pretty scene.  I couldn't resist snapping a shot. 


Kestrel!


Dove!  Eurasian-collared Dove?




Next stop was Sonny Bono National Wildlife Refuge.  But on the road, I was treated to the sight of  more beautiful birds!

Long-billed Curlews searching a freshly burnt farmer's field for food. 


And the resident Burrowing Owl couple that lives near the entrance to the NWR. 



Gambel's Quail!




White-crowned Sparrows!





Belted Kingfisher keeps watch over a canal. 


Mourning Dove!


American Avocet


Cormorant, Snow and Ross Geese, American Coot



Northern Shoveler


 Cormorants, Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Ducks


Gadwall Ducks



Desert Cottontail eating!


Cottontail!


I wasn't the only photographer on the Refuge.  lol 


This is the stubborn backside of a Loggerhead Shrike!


I stopped by the southern unit of  Sonny Bono...which I didn't even know existed.  Haha
I happened across it when I was driving the backroads to hook up with SR 78 and then SR 86 to head to Anza Borrega.  

I just made a quick stop but was glad I did as I saw a flock of beautiful Snow and Ross's Geese. 


Including a stunning Blue/Dark Morph!  Another first!


I was using my car as a blind and shooting over a berm, so these aren't the greatest, but I'm excited anyway!  Woot woot!


And some of them swirled into flight (like they do frequently, only to land again a few minutes after) and I got this cool shot.  



Awwww, what a good day to be out and about on this beautiful planet with these beautiful creatures.  

I had some reservations about going as, sadly, there was an outbreak of Avian Cholera in January that killed off thousands of birds in January.  This is the problem with the shrinking Sea and loss of habitat which puts the birds that use this vital spot for migration in closer proximity.  

Save the Salton Sea!!  

But for now, I'll just be grateful for the times I get to have here while it's still a viable spot.  

xoxo

Nikon D600