About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Friday, May 19, 2017

Flashback Friday! Beautiful Lake Natoma in Spring 2016

Just East of Sacramento lies beautiful Folsom Lake, which (when it has water) is a beautiful jewel with tons of outdoor activities available, including hiking and horse trails, along with water sports. 

Slightly less well known is it's beautiful little sister, Lake Natoma.  It also has tons of water activities and hiking trails and is a popular destination on the weekends.  On this particular day, there was a huge event at the Aquatic Center, the NCAA Rowing Championships.  So there were a ton of people around and lots of exciting things to check out.

I parked at the Lake (Nimbus) Overlook which is the top of a high hill and headed down the green-marked trail to the red-marked trail.



If you want to see wild (but non-native) turkeys, the American River Parkway is the place to go.

My daughter's university, University of Southern California, was at the competition, but I had a hard time figuring out which scull they were in so I took random photos when I saw scarlet and gold.  lol

The path down the hill.


Thanks to the drought, there are plenty of dead trees throughout California and there was one on the side of a hill that reminded me of a skeletal hand. 

As I was heading down the paved trail, I large family of Canada Geese began crossing the road in front of me.  There were bikes bearing down and people with dogs, so I stationed myself protectively to warn folks to be careful.

There were babies of all age in this family group.  So damn cute!

They wanted to cross the road, but they kept getting sidetracked by food. Nom nom nom!


Oh. My. Gosh!  So FREAKING cute!
 Wait for me!

But soon the whole family safely reached the water. 


Even the last little guy climbed into the water where a conscientious adult waited for him. 
 And off they went.
 ...through the sparkling water...

...And right into another sort of danger!!

Luckily the smart parents steered clear of the guideboats and sculls that were racing. 



I saw this pirate and his first mate a few times throughout the morning, just sailing along looking for booty. 






I like to call this next tree, the squid.  Doesn't it look like one?

Wild yellow Iris!  So pretty!

Northern Shoveler in Flight





American Goldfinch (I think)



I had walked quite a ways at this point and made my way down a rocky beach and across the rocks until I felt like I was almost out in the river myself. This is up where the "Lake" looks more like a river, for sure.

And there I found several of my favorite, weird ducks - Common Merganser.




And then a cormorant that was VERY dedicated to building the best nest ever! flew over me. 



So amazing!  I didn't even set out for birding on this beautiful May day and I saw all kinds of beautiful birds!  So happy. 

 Rarely do I get photographs of butterflies in the "wild".  Seriously, those little buggers just are too damn quick for me!  But this Mourning Cloak was happy to pose for me on some beautiful flowers. 
  Thank you beautiful little guy!


Lizard!


I want to learn how to paddleboard!  But my balance is terrible and I need to lose some weight first.  But hopefully this summer.  :-)

So if you're ever visiting the Sacramento area in any season but Winter, be sure to head to beautiful Lake Natoma and the American River Parkway for some outdoor fun and beauty!

xoxo

Nikon D3300