About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Monday, December 5, 2016

Bird Watch 2016: Sacramento Refuge Part II

Welcome back to my report on the 2016 Great Pacific Flyway Bird Migration of 2016!  😁 In my last post, I discussed a little bit about the Sacramento Wildlife Refuge and, together, we started off on the 6-mile auto tour there.  Now let us continue...


These dark slightly-strange looking birds are White-faced Ibis - adult, nonbreeding.  They live year-round in Central and South America and only venture this far north during Migration or to breed in the Summer.








Brewer's Blackbird with three Killdeer

Black-necked Stilts

It had been raining for days and was supposed to be raining while I was at the preserve, but luckily it didn't.  The clouds with the sun breaking through made for some awesome landscape photo ops.

Especially when the large flocks of geese and ducks suddenly took to the air.




Female Mallard (I think) in flight. 


One of my favorites...the elegant Gadwall duck.  Three with an American Coot. 


There were tons of White-fronted Geese. 
  They were mostly in the back ponds, but I was lucky enough to be on the viewing platform when a large group lifted off and moved to the front pond. 

I love this landscape/photo!  I think I have to have a print made of this. 

We'll finish for today with this awesome thistle-type plant that was about 6' tall.  So cool. 

xoxo

Nikon D3300