About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Friday, November 1, 2013

Sacramento Walk to End Alzheimer's - My Walk for my Mom, Beverly Halford 10/5/13

On October 5th, I was privileged to participate in the Sacramento Walk to End Alzheimer's.  I walked on behalf of my mother, Beverly who has had the horrible disease for some 10 odd years now.  She used to love Elvis Presley so I'll include some mood music that she would appreciate.


Fittingly, the day was absolutely gorgeous.  They passed out promise flowers in different colors to signify how Alzheimer's has affected you and to signify a promise to Honor, Care, Remember, and Fight.

There are four colors:

Blue:  I have Alzheimer's 
Purple:  I have lost someone to Alzheimer's
Yellow:  I am supporting or caring for someone with Alzheimer's
Orange:  I support the cause and a vision of a world without Alzheimer's

I have to say...it was such a beautiful and uplifting experience.  Hard for me to believe when it stems from such a truly horrific disease for both the person who has it and their loved ones.



 Yellow seemed to be the predominate color.
There was a Tower of Memories where I taped a little collage I made that used to be on Mom's door at Sun Oak.

After listening to the speakers, etc., it was time for the walk to begin.
There were two courses: one mile around Capital Park and 3 miles to Sutter's Fort and back.  I kind of got sidetracked and ending up doing the shorter walk.  But it was worth it.  There was a tribute to Firemen and it was really beautiful.



 It was near the rose garden.  Growing up, my mom had a green thumb.  We had a huge garden in the backyard and in the front yard she had her favorite roses and fruit trees.  She wasn't as successful with them, but she never gave up.  And she was particularly proud of her beautiful orangey-pink ones.

So I stopped and took photos of all the roses that I knew she would have loved.




Yellow, Orange, and Red...those were the flowers she loved.

After meandering through the rose garden, I saw something else that would have made her smile...lots of different bagpipe groups.  

It seemed fitting to stop.  Some of my cherished memories are of taking my mom to the cemetery on holidays to visit my dad and brother's graves.  The cemetery always had a bagpiper and we just loved to sit in the sun and listen together and sing along if we knew the song.  Neither of us can sing very well.  Luckily even one bagpiper was enough to drown us out.



It was so sweet...at the end of the walk, they had people - young and old - that were cheering and thanking the walkers.  It was really touching.



After I made it back to the Capital lawn, I took the corsage I had been wearing in my mom's honor and pinned it to the Tower of Memories.  I had given her the corsage to wear on the last Mother's Day that she remembered who I was.  That was a year ago...
After the walk ended, I made my way to River Walk Park for a Sacto Mofo treat...The Chairman food truck. I hadn't eaten anything (due to walking up late) so I was starving after all that walking and picture taking.

I got two baos.  Steamed with chicken and baked with pork belly.  
I should have just got one.  The chicken was okay, but the baked Pork Belly was one of the most DELICIOUS things I've ever eaten.
I sat and listened to the live music and chatted with a very nice couple I met.  She and I both had teal purses, so it was meant to be.  After an hour or so, I decided to head out.  I passed the Volkswaffle truck and just could not resist.
OMG, so glad I didn't.  It's amazing because it's a dough waffle, not batter.  The tastes and textures were so wonderful.

All in all, it was just a wonderful day.  So glad I experienced it.


xoxo