About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Time Machine! Part Deux! This is the "And More" Part. 8/26/11

Interesting day today...but I don't really want to talk about the bad parts.  The good parts were time spent with my daughter and about an hour spent with my mom.  One of the staff played the piano and we sang along (kinda) to some old songs.  Watching my mom truly engage with the music, tap her feet and clap her hands was a lot of fun.

So to disengage my mind from worrying about things I have no power over, I'm going to post some pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the Sharks Captain's skate was over, I wanted to head to the DeBrito Chocolate Factory to buy some apples to take home  You may remember me mentioning their delicious caramel apples in a previous post about the State Fair but they are well worth talking about again!

It was a bit longer drive from San Jose to Hollister than I expected. Missing a turn off and having to backtrack once didn't help.  But it was a gorgeous day and I love to drive so what the hell.  Ever wonder where your lettuce comes from?  Beautiful fields of green and red lettuce were growing side by side.

I was a little surprised when I found the address... It was not a Willy Wonka adventure like I had envisioned.  It was not even a typical storefront or factory like I had expected.  To be honest, it looked like a junkyard...  There was a dirt yard with broken down vehicles and farm equipment set on a farm.  The building was hand-painted corrugated metal.



I pulled up and parked and was relieved to see what appeared to be another customer exiting a door with wrapped caramel apples.  So in I went and was delighted with an actual store and lots of delicious choices.

I browsed for a bit, made my selections, and stowed them in the ice chest I had brought for just that purpose.  Then I meandered my way to Half Moon Bay.

First stop was at the State Beach.  I just wanted to relax and there's nothing more I love when I'm by myself than a foggy beach.  There's a lyric in a somewhat sad song by the Descendants that pretty much sums it up for me:

"Wet sand on a foggy beach, the sky is gray.
You would call this a perfect day."

There wasn't much ground fog, but one had to be careful driving into the parking lot. There were suspicious bumps throughout the lot...
...which turned out to be seagulls upon closer inspection.
I guess this might be as good a time as any to warn you that I have a lot of gull photos.  lol  They were my best companions throughout the day. So if you're ornithophobic, you may want to look away.

I headed down to the beach, managing to not look like an idiot and fall when sliding down the small cliff.  Once you fuck up your feet so that they don't really bend as they should, it's hard to manage sketchy surfaces.  haha

I get settled in with my blanket and book....when along comes a friendly gull looking for food.  I didn't have any, but my new found friend didn't give up for hours!
He/she laid down right beside my blanket and just kept me company.  We watched the cute little birds working hard for their dinner in the waves.  They would dash in as a wave receded and peck frantically in the wet sand...
...and then as the next wave came in, they'd make a quick break for it.
Even though the day was gray, it wasn't cold and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep for a little bit.  I woke up and talked to my gull friend for a few minutes about the other gulls who were encroaching on our peaceful bit of sand.
(See the cliffs I managed to not fall down?)
I love this sweet little picture.

I was hoping to see some whales or dolphins frolicking, which - believe it or not - does happen from time to time.  But it wasn't meant to be.  Did see a bunch of pelicans though!  Those things are archaic looking and awesome.
The waves weren't very high, but that particular beach does have potential for some good rip currents.  Plus, I forgot a towel so I didn't venture into the water.  There were a few intrepid souls around who did.  The waves were pretty though and of course the rhythm of the ocean was oh so soothing.

After a couple hours, my friend decided it was time to get moving...

So I took that as a sign and hit the road too.  Just like I'm doing now.  Stay tuned for part three.  :-)