About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Time Machine!! 8-26-11 Sharks 'n more! Part 1

I finally recovered some photos that were "lost" during the infamous computer meltdown of several months ago.

I could have recovered them sooner, I suppose, since my wonderful friend Erik saved the laptop from a certain death quite a while back now.  But while it's life was saved, it's identity was not and since then our lovely Comcast provider refuses to recognize it's IP address and therefore deny it internet access.

So it was just more trouble than it was worth to really solve the problem or at least figure out a way around it.  But then it occurred to me that I had about 80 photos on there...all edited and ready to go...

Truthfully that's the hardest part of keeping up with this photo-centric blog.  With my archaic equipment the whole process of saving, editing, and posting is pretty time-consuming. Some day I'll be able to channel money into more modern equipment that makes it easier, but that time is in the definitely not TOO distant future.

But when I recall the happy day of peace and rest that these pictures represent, I felt compelled to actually use my blonde brain and get the job done.  You're welcome.

The day was August 26, 2011. I had originally asked my boss for Friday through Sunday off because I wanted to road trip up to Washington state to surprise my oldest brother for his birthday.  I worked on Thursday (my normal day off) and then was supposed to leave that evening to make the 14 hour drive.  However, reality (and the price of gas jumping) intervened and the budget wouldn't allow for that long of a trip or that much time off.

Deciding that I deserved at least a bit of my solitary road trip, I told my boss that I at least had to take Friday off and headed west to San Jose. It was wonderfully hot and sunny in the valley, but approaching the 680 junction showed me that I was probably in for a foggy day...at least in some parts of my route.


 Interestingly, I remember that the fog paralleled 680 pretty much all the way to San Jose.  So it was temptingly close and made for some beautiful vistas without taking away my sunshiney day.  Perfect!

I arrived at Shark's Ice just in time for Captain Skate.  I was excited and hopeful because the Sharks had recently acquired Brent Burns (who is supposed to take us to the promised land - no pressure) and this was my first opportunity to see him.  IF he was even there!  You just never know who's going to show up to Captain's Ice...especially in the early stages.



Success!  He was there in all his glory...as was his flow.  Nice!  Let's see who else was there... Hmmm.  Sena Acolatse (with Burnsie)...
Hmmm...didn't realize Acolatse was so blurry there.  My camera must have focused on Burnsie. Sorry Sena.
Frazer McLaren was also there.  In real life, Frazer was just returned to the WorSharks yesterday.  Hopefully he can do well and provide some forward depth for them.
Thomas Greiss was there to goaltend (duh, what else).
Fan favorite Owen Nolan was there...
...as was fellow fan favorite Jonathan Cheechoo, who shared a laugh with Greiss.
Another former Shark was there in the form of Chris Stuart, who is now with the Red Wings.
Last, but certainly not least, on the ice was our captain, Jumbo Joe Thornton.
Random fun-ness!  Brent Burns celebrates a "goal" against Greiss.  "Wooo-hoo-hoo-hoo" is the sound you'll hear to this day if you go to practice.  Love that guy.  What a big kid.

Notice a theme with Joe?  He's almost always smiling.
There was one funny play where Nolan tried to score on Greiss and ended up looking a little foolish.  Hilarious.
Just in case, that's Nolan between Greiss and the goalpost.  Hmmm, that sounds like the name of a children's book that's just waiting to be written...Greiss and the Goalpost.  Short story forthcoming perhaps?
After Captain's Ice, the players happily signed for the fans as they came off the ice.
All in all, A very fun day and rewarding because there were some players there.  I always start the drive by telling myself that no matter who is there, I will be happy and satisfied to just see some hockey and be in the coolness of the rink. But who am I kidding?  If I drove 2 1/4 housr and didn't see anyone, I'm sure I would be disappointed.

That was only the start of my wonderful day!  But I'm going to put that in a part II (and possibly III) so stay tuned for the continuance!

To Be Continued... duh
                                          duh
                                                       duh!