About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"If You Build It, He Will Come" -- Barry Zito Rehabs @ The Ports 6/6/11

That's baseball, and it's my game.  Y' know, you take your worries to the game, and you leave 'em there.  You yell like crazy for your guys.  It's good for your lungs, gives you a lift, and nobody calls the cops.  [Cute guys], lots of 'em.  ~Humphrey Bogart

Okay, okay...so Bogart said pretty girls.  I'm sure there are a few of those there too.  But that quote pretty much sums up how I feel about going to the ballpark.  I can go with friends or alone.  But I never feel alone when I'm there.  Maybe it's the shared camaraderie of cheering for your team.  Or maybe it's just the peaceful feeling I get sitting outside with sky and grass surrounding me (yes...even at the "ugly" Coliseum...).  I feel as one with nature and humanity for those few hours.

Banner Island Ballpark in Stockton for the Athletics Single A club is wonderful in every aspect.  For the low price of $12, you can sit in the front row with nothing - and I do mean nothing! - dividing you from the players and field.  It is an absolute must to keep your eyes open and be aware.  Foul balls can and do come screaming into the seats at what seems like a trillion miles an hour.  Observe the views...


 Every year I tell myself that I'm going to get out to more Ports games.  To be honest, the quality of the game suffers.  I mean, it is Single A after all.  Though at times this year it seems the big club has been playing Single A ball too.  But I digress.

I won't whine and complain about my work schedule and low-paying job that make 
getting out to sporting events of any kind a major undertaking.  
Sometimes I just need an extra push to get me out there.  

Barry Zito rehabbing at the Ports was definitely a must see in my book.
Even though Barry was a traitor to head across the Bay to the Gnats...I think he's paid a high enough price.  Karma bit him in the ass with a vengeance and it's pretty tough to feel any animosity towards him during what might be his last year in baseball.
As an A's fan, I can't be mad at Barry.  We weren't going to pay him (wisely, as it turns out). I'll always think fond, happy thoughts about the A's "Big Three".  Thanks Barry.
Moving on...  In addition to Barry rehabbing, Chris Carter - the A's wunderkind depending on whom you're talking to - was also rehabbing.  He's a BIG dude. 
Shortshop Dusty Coleman watches over a Giants baserunner.
Seemed like there were Giants all over the basepaths.  The Ports starter, A.J. Griffin, hasn't had a bad season even though he's been with almost every A's farm team, but he definitely had a bad night. 
He wasn't too happy about being pulled, but manager Webster Garrison does it all the same.

Another Ports player that had a rough night was 3rd baseman Leonardo Gil. 
Both his defense and (lack of ) offense were brutal.
Ryan Ortiz, now with the AA Midland, Texas Rockhounds.
Loved sitting right next to the dugout. Always some interesting stuff going on. 

On a cool, retrospective note, Andrew Carrignan pitched that night.  He is currently up and doing well with the Big Club.  Nice to see that journey for a player...A to AAA to the Show in the space of three months.  Good for him!

It was a gorgeous night for baseball!  But cold...brrrrrrr....extremely cold.  I had a blanket and I was still cold!  In spite of freezing various body parts off, a good time was had by all.
Well, except the Ports who lost the game 7-1.  

xoxo