About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Thursday, November 10, 2011

It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry. 11/3/11 Sharks/Pens

Or so says a guy named Joe Moore.  Thanks for the quote Joe.


In light of the major computer meltdowns that have occurred and prevented me from posting here, I've decided to scrap my original game plan of posting my events in order.  Well, I guess my move already did that...but I thought I'd be able to get back on top of it.  Now I'm sunk for sure.  lol


So from this point forward, my goal is to post my latest event within a week of it's happening.  And here we go. But first, a word of thanks to my "sponsor", L, who made this game possible.  Thank you - you rock - your kindness is appreciated!
We like the Penguins.  And no, not for Sid the Kid, although we don't dislike him.  So of course the Penguins coming to town was on our list of must see Sharks games.  We got a very late start out of Sacramento which translates into hitting rush hour traffic both here and through Walnut Creek to San Jose.  We were seriously in doubt of reaching the Tank before warmups ended.  Very stressful.


We exit the freeway just about when warmups are starting and get in line to enter the parking lot.  Having never arrived quite so late, imagine our surprise when the attendant tells us that they are in "restricted mode" and can only allow season ticket holders in!  I am not ashamed to say that I begged and begged the poor guy, and he was soooooo awesome and let us in.  Thank you awesome parking attendant dude!



We park and I tell A to go ahead because I stupidly wore my boots with heels and I can't walk very fast in them.  Not to mention I had worn them to San Francisco the day before (and walked up and down a steep street no less) so my poor broken feets were hurtin like a... Well, you get the idea.


However, weirdly enough, she must have got stuck in a slow line because we ran into each other on the concourse and ran down the closest steps to get to the ice.  Yay!  We made it!  The steps were close to the visiting entrance to the ice so all I have are Penguins warmup pictures.  I don't even have my customary shot of the scoreboard showing the matchup!  Oh well.  lol


So, without further explanation, are the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Asham, Letang, Cooke
Ben Lovejoy
Brent Johnson
Johnson, Marc-Andre Fleury, Pascal Dupuis
Brooks Orpik
Harvard grad Craig Adams
Flower
Evgeni Malkin
Geno and James Neal
Kris Letang
Letang and Dupuis
Mark Letestu - Bye Mark. We hardly knew ye. 
Dupuis, Asham, Letang 
Adams, Dupuis
After warmups, we took care of the business we normally take care of before heading down to the glass and then we climbed the stairs to our seat in Section 205.  I like these seats.  The screen isn't in our way as much.  

The Sharks celebrated Jumbo's 1000th game and 1000th point with a fun presentation.  Wifey Tabea, daughter Ayla, parents Wayne and Mary, and agent/brother John were on the ice for a fun/touching video and gifts presented by the NHL, Sharks organization/owners, training staff, and of course his teammates.


I took a bunch of pictures and to be honest, since my computer crash, I am using an old monitor so I can't really tell which of these pictures are good and which might be crap.  Sorry.  I just kinda had to trust my editing software. So I'm throwing up more pictures than usual (and I realize that means A LOT!).

The Alternate Captains watch the video presentation
The view from our seats
Joe greets his family


Ayla was captivated by the traditional silver stick presented by DW
Silver Stick + pucks & game notes from his 1st & 1000th games
  
The NHL Rep presented 2 Tiffany engraved awards
Training staff presents a 6 liter bottle of Duckhorn wine
His teammates present him with a huge Wooly Mammoth tusk
Photo with the "lucky" tusk
 After Joe skated back to join his teammates and the ice was cleared, we were ready for the national anthem.  It was a good one. Good job lady.



 And then, let the game begin.  Here are some game pictures.  Notably one of Havlat who continues to avoid my camera lens.  Dammit!  He's so hot.  Anyway, sorry...got distracted there.


Here's Winchester's first period bout with Craig Adams.  Good for Winchester and he actually won pretty cleanly.  But Adams isn't really a fighter.  
Our 3rd line + Boyler
Pens coach Dan Bylsma walks past several Pens fans on the glass
Crappy picture, but Clowe's meaningful fight with Engellund
Moves like Havlat
Havlat gets mugged...and a penalty.




 Where's Waldo?  Errr...Sharkie.  Only Brodie knows apparently. 
  So, brief game summary:


1st Period:     Sharks suck badly-as in horrible.  Malkin Beastin'.  Niemi stinky. Pens 2 Sharks 0
2nd Period:  Sharks much better.  Greiss beastin'.  Malkin still beastin'. Marleau! Pens 3 Sharks 1
3rd Period:  Sharks better still! Yay!  We can play!  Clowe! GINNER!!!  Pens 3 Sharks 3


We're going to a shoot out baby!  Amazing considering how bad the first period was.  I was seriously depressed.  

Here's a couple pics of the Sharks players waiting for the zamboni's to clear the ice for the shootout.
Greiss is so very Nice!  


Shootout
Logan CoutureSJSSave
Kris LetangPITSave
Dan BoyleSJSSave
Evgeni MalkinPITSave
Ryane CloweSJSGoal
Pascal DupuisPITSave



 Sharks Win!!  Sharks Win!!  Did I mention Greiss was beastin?





Three star selections
1st:  THOMAS GREISS - Beast!
2nd:  EVGENI MALKIN - BEAST!
3rd:  RYANE CLOWE - Beast!


 What a rollercoaster ride!  So glad they turned it around or that 2 1/2 hour ride home would have been a bitch.