About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Perfect Day Part I

Wednesday, August 18, 2010, was damn near a perfect day.  After working for two weeks without a day off because my boss was in Hawaii, I begged to take the 18th off so A and I could head to the Bay Area for a sports blitz.

Sports, whether playing or spectating, are my escape...my stress relief.  Almost nothing is more relaxing to me than a day game at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum.  So what better way to relax than combine a day game in the bright, hot California sunshine with my newfound love of ice?  Ice hockey to be exact. Shark's Captain's Skate, to be even more precise. 

We had to leave early early early in order to get to San Jose at 10:00 a.m., which is the time Captain's Skate (CS) was scheduled.  CS is kind of a crapshoot as far as seeing NHL players.  It's an informal practice and the players are not required in any way to show up.  Last week, Joe Pavelski was the only big name player who showed.  So I told myself that I was just going to be happy to be at the rink, seeing some live hockey. 

The drive was really nice...a mild glorious morning.  Going through Dixon there were about five hot air balloons in various stages of take-off which is always cool to see.  We arrived at Shark's Ice at about 9:45 and took the time to wander around the three main rinks.  Some dudes were playing pond hockey and they looked thrilled to have an audience.  Some showing off did occur. 

We eventually made out way over to the Shark's rink and practice was in full swing.  By practice, I should say more pond hockey except with NHL'ers.  I was THRILLED when we walked in and Jonathan Cheechoo walked in front of us to get to the ice!

I quickly perused the ice and saw Owen Nolan and Danny Boyle!  I LUV Dan Boyle.  Yes I do. 



Owen Nolan was wearing his Minnesota Wild practice gear
We were dressed more for the A's game than an ice rink, so we quickly climbed to the top of the bleachers where the heaters were radiating.  A asked me to be discreet with my camera (since it was a fairly intimate setting) but I obviously failed at that.   

It was pretty fun to watch and interesting...they were playing full-rink and Dan was skating pretty hard.  He was tired - obviously hadn't been skating much if at all during the off-season. 

They played until about 11:00, at which time Patrick Marleau walked into the rink! 

Close behind him was my favorite rookie, Jason Demers and that glass and old man punching Devin Setoguchi!
Shortly after that Boyler took off and Patty decided that they were out of shape (speculation) and should only play half rink...so he moved the goal

and off they went.


It was so much fun...made funner by this adorable 5 year old named Duncan.  Duncan loves Dan Boyle. At one point his mom asked me to watch him while she went and bought some hot cocoa.  Duncan advised me that he could do a triple flip and asked if I wanted to see.  Of course not a good idea at the top of bleachers so A distracted him by pointing out Marleau skating past.  I asked little Duncan if he knew who Patrick Marleau was.  His response?  "Patrick Marleau!!!  He's the CAPTAIN of the SHARKS!!!"

Yes Duncan...in our hearts he is still wearing the C...  Shortly after this, Duncan tripped and banged his shin pretty good. I thought he was going to cry, so I broke out the old "you're okay...you're tough...you're a hockey player" speech.  He said, "I know I am, but it hurts really bad!"  Just then mom walked in with hot cocoa and the leg was forgotten.  Thank goodness.

At about 11:40, Patty, Seto, and Demers left the ice. We made our way out into the warm California sunshine...happy as can be...and began our drive to Oakland for the A's game.

As usual, I have moar hockey photos herrrzzz

(To be continued...)