About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Float Like a Butterfly: Visiting the Monarch Sanctuary in Pacific Grove

And, we're back, finishing up my fun and refreshing day trip to Monterey County.

After my quick detour to visit the beautiful and historic Mission San Juan Bautista and then going for an amazing walk filled with beauty, otters, seagulls, and cormorants, I headed for the main reason for the day:

The overwintering spot of Monarch Butterflies, otherwise known as the Monarch Grove Sanctuary of Pacific Grove.

Courtesy of City of Pacific Grove website
Monarchs are beautiful and fascinating.  The Monarchs you will see in my pictures are special.  They were born in September or October of 2016.  Instead of living for only two to six weeks like Monarchs born in other months, they are born with a higher fat content so that they have the strength and energy to migrate to California or Mexico for the winter. 

There they attach themselves in great bunches to trees in certain spots where they hang together to protect themselves from winter's storms.  Then, in February and March, they find a mate and fly away together to lay the eggs that will become the first of four generations of Monarchs born that year.  

Each generation will go through the egg, larvae (caterpillar), and pupa (chrysalis) stages and then emerge as a gorgeous Monarch that will float and flutter through it's short life.  Until September/October when the next generation of Monarchs destined for migration are born.

For reasons (mostly) unknown, Monarchs return to the same places in California and Mexico to "overwinter".  The sanctuary in Pacific Grove is one of those places. 

Courtesy of the Monterey Herald
The sanctuary is by a school where you can park on the weekends.  Then look for the sign (two photos above) and walk down the pathway beside it to the sanctuary entrance (above and below).
Courtesy of CaliforniaBeaches.com
There is a walkway that leads through the grove.  But when you walk, you need to look UP!  The butterflies are attached to the trees up near the canopy and can look like bunches of brown leaves from the bottom.   You may also see them floating through the air if the day is warm enough.
Courtesy of AnythingIsPossibleTravel.com
For that reason it's better to go between Noon and 4:00 p.m. so that you can see some flitting around. 
When I walked through, I couldn't see any bunches of "leaves" that looked like butterflies.  But it was also late February, so I was aware that I missed the prime window of viewing.


I was thrilled when I got about halfway through the grove as I saw about 20 butterflies floating around and landing on the trees, etc.  


I just love this heart-shaped fellow that was one of the first ones I saw!

After I saw my first one and forced myself to be a little more still, I started seeing them more frequently and was able to point them out to others who weren't having as much luck. 






I stayed in the grove for about half an hour as it was past time that I wanted to be on the road and I couldn't really locate any bundles.  I did snap a photo of this cool bench on my way out.  

And then I stopped at the eucalyptus trees near the entry of the grove and saw a few more Monarchs. 
I liked this one because it reminds me of stained glass. 


Then, just before I walked down the path to my car, I noticed a pine tree that was at the edge of the grove.  There is a pink Inn that backs onto the grove with a little alley between it.  I walked down that alley to get a closer look where I thought I saw some butterflies. 

This was about 2:00 p.m. and the warm afternoon was starting to turn cooler under the shadow of the trees.  It seemed that the Monarchs may be gathering to form their bundles to protect themselves from the cold after enjoying the warm afternoon!


As I stood there watching, more and more butterflies flew to the tree.  It was fun to try to count them and find the ones that were hidden by the branches!


When looking at this next shot, it's pretty amazing to notice how see-through and delicate the wings are and to realize that this beautiful little guy has survived the rough storms that have been hitting California all winter. 





In some of the next photos, I placed little stars beside or above all of the Monarchs I could see as I tried to count them in post-production. 

I counted six in the next photo.  But actually, now that I look again, I see seven. 

And seven in this one too, I think. Or maybe eight and there seems to be a splash of orange in the bottom, non-focused area. 

Eleven??

And maybe twelve?

And now, definitely 16.  I feel like Rainman.

They were definitely gathering and it reminded me that I really needed to hit the road!  I felt very blessed to have seen this happening and was lucky enough to point it out to a family that was just entering the grove.  They were as amazed as I was!  #SharingIsCaring

One more photo to show you what they would look like once a large number had come to the tree and clustered into a colony:

Courtesy of Californiabeaches.com

Pismo Beach in California is supposed to have the highest population of overwintering Monarchs in California.  In fact, at Mission San Juan Bautista I was talking to a couple and they said they had went to Pismo two years ago in January and there were so many butterflies around that you had to walk really carefully so as to not step on any.

I plan to take a trip there next January.  This beautiful grove in Pacific Grove only whetted my appetite for more!

If you live in a house or even if your apartment has room for flower pots or boxes, you should plant a Pollinator Garden and help save bees and butterflies from extinction!  



May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light upon
To bring you luck, happiness, and riches
Today, tomorrow, and beyond.
~~Irish blessing

xoxo

Nikon D3300