About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Yolo County - Laughing in Flowers July 1, 2016

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "The earth laughs in flowers".  I like that visual!  What a great description for fields of flowers with bees humming about them, contributing to the happiness of the earth.

In July and August, Yolo County, California is definitely laughing with many fields full of gorgeous sunflowers lifting their heads to the sun!

As I meandered down the county roads on this beautiful July morning, I saw some other bright fields of yellow and red thistle-like flowers that I couldn't quite identify.  



A quick google search told me that I had found the source of a substance that many people use on a frequent basis - Safflower Oil!  That's right, these beautiful fields were filled with safflowers.  


And the bees loved them as much as they loved the sunflowers found nearby.






I headed up Highway 16 in search of something more on the purple side.  Unfortunately, I never did.  So I guess I'll revisit that next lavender season.  But I was content to explore along the beautiful Cache Creek/Bear Creek.  

It was getting pretty hot on this day where temperatures were close to the century mark.  So I had a brief walk at an interesting looking spot along the highway and river, north of Esparto, CA.  I pulled off where the road was wider than usual and happily parked under a tree.  

In fact, it was blooms of golden and white cotton-like seeds, spilling down the sides of the nearby trees that had caught my eye at this particular junction. I had to get out for a closer look.


Then I found a path that led through the dense brush and scrubby trees towards the river, which I could hear rushing by. 

On my way, I had to pass through a really cool manzanita forest.  I couldn't capture how otherworldly it seemed amongst the tall, red trunks with the light barely coming through the canopy overhead.


The trunks were such a beautiful color and had these amazing curls on them. 

When I made to the river shore, I found I wasn't the only creature who had sought out the cool of the bank to relax.  There was a lizard and a rabbit that I didn't get a shot of.  A bit more willing to stay put for my intrusive photos was a small, skinny, blue dragonfly. 



The creek running through the canyon was so cool and the swirls of the rapids were soothing.  It was such a bummer that I forgot my water shoes and towel at home!  


I had a little sandy beach with green grass, shade, and granite boulders to sit on.  But most of them were occupied by little dragonfly friends.


I hiked back to the road and down to a curve I had passed through earlier.  I thought it might make for some good photos.  On the way, I found an interesting dead tree with more of the cottony seeds that I though made for an interesting look.

Looking back North, the river and surrounding green was in stark contrast to the barren, brown mountains around.  Just a month into summer and one can easily tell that El Nino did not alleviate the harsh drought.  At.  All. 


It was getting too hot to be out and about, so I headed back to my car and turned back onto Highway 16.  This time I retraced my route and headed Southeast.  I had seen an old bridge off the road that I had to check out.  

It was a cute, one lane bridge.  Cache Creek was spread wide beneath it and there were lots of swallows and lizards about.  

I, of course, had to explore underneath. There was some slightly scary graffiti down there!


But there were also lots of beauteous things, such as cattails!

I sat on the shady bank by the cattails for a little while, just enjoying my surroundings. I was reminded of a book I enjoy..."Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen.  In it, Fanny says, "I shall soon be rested.  To sit in the shade on a find day, and look upon verdure, is the most perfect refreshment."


The old bridge was as a silver crown on an emerald claddaugh ring, with my hands holding the perfect picture and my heart. 

Finally feeling refreshed enough for the hot drive home, I left my sanctuary. Even though I was tired and hot, I could resist one more stop when I passed another sunflower field right off the road.

  

  
I love these next three photos.  They look very similar, and they are indeed of the same flower.  A very dedicated and busy bee was hard at work.  He was covered with bright yellow pollen and looked so amazing!  I had to do a little "study" of him; the photos get progressively closer to him. 

  


This particular sunflower seemed to be much farther along in it's life cycle and was released a ton more pollen, which can bee (pun intended!) scene in the last picture.  Sooo cool!!

What a fun, but somewhat exhausting (mostly due to the heat) day.  Can't wait to go again!  I'll leave you with another quote which I completely believe in my bones. 

"Mother Nature is always speaking.  She speaks in a language understood within the peaceful mind of the sincere observer." ~~ Radhanath Swami

xoxo

Nikon D3300