About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Point Reyes Lighthouse April 10, 2016 - The Middle

In my last post,  we got lost on the way to Point Reyes National Seashore, finally made it there, walked around, saw some deer, vultures, ravens, and cows, and then walked to the Point Reyes Lighthouse.

When I arrived, the stairs down to the lighthouse were closed and didn't open for another 40ish minutes. 

I love this picture looking down the stairs.  If you look to the right of the stairs, you can see two enclosures at different points down the stairs.  Those have benches for resting on the way back up.  I was very grateful for those benches later!

I spent the time talking to a fellow intrepid soul and trying not to get blown off the cliff in the sudden wind gusts.  There were also sights to see, such as the colony of Common Murres that spend their spring and summers at Point Reyes.

First, my photo in which these Penguin-like seabirds appear to almost look like bird poop on the rocks.  

And then a photo from the National Park Service so you can see how cute these guys really are. 


In addition to watching and listening to the Murres, there were Seagulls, Cormorants, and Brant Geese to keep me occupied.  I was also looking for whales as they migrate close to the shore in the spring.  

And, as if nature isn't enough, there were ocean and air-going vessels. 



And then, magically on time(!) the Ranger arrived to open the gates so we could begin trekking down the 308 stairs.  There were approximately 10 of us waiting by this time.  This was taken about halfway down. 

This is Dudley Farinosa, more commonly known as bluff lettuce.  It seemed a bit strange to see succulents growing when it's not desert conditions (shows how much I know) but I guess they're pretty common. I think they're like lovely little red and green stars perched above the ocean. 

This is the side of the Equipment Building which overlooks the Murres colony.  Painted red by nature, it matches the red algae found on the surrounding rocks. 

On the opposite side of the Equipment Building, there is a walkway to the door of the lighthouse and a ramp to get to the lower level. The lighthouse was built in 1870.  The Fresnel lens and mechanism were built in France in 1867 and then shipped to Drake's Bay and carted overland to the Point. 
Unfortunately, the lens room didn't open until 4:30 and I planned to be long gone by then.  Another trip perhaps. 

From the lower level, the keepers could access the Fog Signal Building.  Now that the station is automated, the sound and flashing light emanates from the top of the building. 

Inside the Equipment Building, they have some of the old equipment including the old air horns that were used for the fog signal before the automation. 


Down at the lower level of the lighthouse - which had to be placed low on the cliffs to be under the heavy fog banks - I got a better view of the Brant Geese flying by.  Nicknamed the Sea Goose, these guys fly in lines, sometimes straight and sometimes wavy, and occasionally form the traditional V. But they stay low over the ocean.  


This is a cool view of the stairs and ramps leading from the lower level to the entrance to the Fog Signal Building and illustrate the need to protect ships from the sharp rocks. 

One final shot of the old light tower...

...and then it was time to head back up the loooooonnnnngggg flight of stairs (did I mention that there are 308?  did I mention that there is a ramp in between some of the stairs, so it's actually longer?) to the top.


I rested four times on the way back up. I usually took a photo to pretend I didn't HAVE to stop.
  
I don't think anyone was fooled though.  

Cormorants!

These were some off-limits ruins that looked pretty cool.
Especially with the Douglas Iris growing their midst. 

Almost there!

Last stop!  More Douglas Iris.  This time on the stairs growing under the chain link fence. With water droplets.  How could I not stop??  (No, really...I had to stop.)

I was really bummed about one thing though.  Just as I took the gimmicky picture of the lighthouse upside down in my magnifying glass (above), I heard a huge splash and looked just in time to see a whale partially breaching.  

And again, when I was talking to a fellow tourist (from another country, which was cool), we heard the telltale "blow" and turned just as it went under.  So I saw a whale, but didn't really see a whale. 

I will be rectifying this in the future!

Next post, we explore more of the vast National Seashore.  

xoxo

Nikon D3300