About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sacramento Zoo - 2/7/15 - Part 1 "Ornithology ~~The Pond"

I have very mixed feelings about zoos.  There are obviously horrible zoos that should be shut down immediately.  Even in "good" zoos...are the animals really happy?  Or, are they stressed out?  Miserable?

Probably all of the above.  

And frankly, as I write and think of horrible things done in the name of zoos, I'm just so sad and...well, it's not conducive to the happy homage to animals that I hope for with my photos.  So I'm just going to stop.

There are obviously some benefits of zoos and I'll just focus on that since I would never patronize or support any sub-par zoos, roadside attractions (like the tiger who lives at a gas station), etc.

I do think good zoos have value as conservation of species that stupid humans are sometimes not so slowly killing out in the wild.  They serve as a teaching moment (hopefully) for school children and families to hopefully help create a more sensitive future for these glorious creatures. 

And on that note...

Post 1 of probably several starring the animals of the Sacramento Zoo.

One of the first places you see and hear (and smell, but we won't think of that) at the Sacramento Zoo is the pond area which is home to a large flock of American Flamingos.



These four immediately caught my attention with their loud honking.  They were putting on quite a show at the feeding trough...their neck movements reminded me of Medusa!

Also in the pond are a large variety of ducks, geese, and even a couple beautiful pelicans. 

So many colors in their lovely, shiny feathers.  This is a sleeping White-faced Whistling Duck.

This is one of my favorite pictures.  The swirly water, gorgeous brown feathers, blue beak, and frame of reeds looks pretty cool. 
And I honestly don't know what kind of duck that is!  It looks similar to the White-faced Whistling duck above, but not really.  And there is no exact match on the zoo's website.  But it's a beauty!

This is a sleeping (in case you can't tell and thought it was a one-footed zombie duck with a broken neck) Fulvous Whistling duck.  

And more Fulvous friends.

And more...I just love their glorious plumage. 


And speaking of glorious plumage...moar flamingos!
They. Have. PURPLE! Feet. 


This little guy is an American Coot.

And this beauty is a Southern Crested Screamer.  And it's pretty loud.
And here we have two sleeping American White Pelicans and their little Red Breasted Goose friend.

And now they're awake!  And floating around serenely.
 I just love the reflections in the water.



We'll finish with this guy.  He was stalking me and I mean REALLY.  I was standing by the feeder and he kept walking right up to me.  He wanted his picture taken!  So I obliged and they turned out to be some of the best. 



Join us next time for Lions and Tigers and Bears!  Oh my!

No, actually I didn't get to see any of those things.  haha But join us anyway. :-)

xoxo