About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Trojan FW 2013 - Day 2 Part III California Girls

This will be a brief post.  A tribute of sorts to musical legends 
The Beach Boys.
From L - R:  Al Jardine, Mike Love, Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson

Sir Paul McCartney called this song one of the best ever.


I grew up loving the Beach Boys.  My best memories as a child were when my dad, who at that point (early - mid 70's) was a traveling salesman after retiring Career Air Force, took us on the road for at least a month of each summer.  

We traveled the western United States in our huge company motor home listening to my dad's 8-tracks.  Most often requested by us girls was the Beach Boys and Bobby Valentine.  
I still love and listen to the Beach Boys to this day.

My favorite was always Dennis Wilson, the blonder and (IMO) most handsome brother. He was also supposedly the black sheep of the family and the one who most personified the Beach Boys trademark California surfer lifestyle.
I mean,  how can you not?
Even as he got older and scruffier, he was the same soulful dreamy artist, stealing girls hearts. 
Anyway, the Beach Boys are a fascinating story, much too complicated for me to indulge myself any further here.  But the Wilson brothers were musical geniuses from a very young age.  And I loved/love them.

So imagine my surprise and delight upon learning that USC had arranged a special on-campus concert by the current iteration of the Beach Boys.  Now to be honest, I was excited but with misgivings; I (sometimes unfairly) blame Mike Love for a lot of things.  haha But I try to remind myself that I don't know the whole story and Mike was a founding member and great contributor to the Beach Boys.

Originally Adrienne was supposed to go with me and Rose but she had too much homework.  We ended up giving her ticket to another parent.   

We were about midway up in the balcony, but it's a small theater so there really wasn't a bad seat in the house.
Me and Rose (Not a good picture of me!)

The USC Spirit Girls made a fun appearance.


And they had a tribute to the Wilson brothers.


All in all, a wonderful finish to a very fun day.  

xoxo