About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Memorial Day with Mom 5/30/11 - The Average American Is Nothing If Not Patriotic

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. ~~ Mark Twain



Having grown up in a military family, patriotic holidays such as July 4th, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day have always been sincerely observed.  One tradition that has developed over the years is to take my mom to visit the grave of my dad and brother - both of whom served our country in the military - on Memorial Day and sometimes on Veteran's Day.  

I'm still trying to do that even though it's getting harder as the Alzheimer's claims my mothers life and turns her into a being that seems more and more like my disabled child instead of the glue that held our rickety family together as long as she possibly could.

Last Memorial Day was a tough one.  It was two weeks after we made the hard decision that mom would be better off where someone could be with her 24/7.  I felt like I was losing a child.

I took some comfort in the familiar ritual of going to the store with mom to purchase some flowers for the vases at the grave site. We enjoyed the car ride in the bright summer sun and pulled into the cemetery grateful for the years that we had with our loved ones.  

I  especially reflected that I was grateful for these years with mom...even though we have fought like cats and dogs in the past and life has been rocky and unloving in our dysfunctional family.

I am also thankful that the true meaning of Memorial Day didn't apply to our family. We didn't lose a loved one in war.  Our loved ones came home.  Not whole - not by a long shot.  I saw how war and the military background of my father affected my family and especially my two brothers who had served.  

But I am very grateful to those who served our country in past, present, and unfortunately in the future.  
I see no end in sight.  

But I hope and pray that I will see an end to Alzheimer's.  

  As America celebrates Memorial Day, we pay tribute to those who have given their lives in our nation's wars. ~~ John McHugh 

 xoxo