About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Morman Row - The Most Photographed Barn in the World - And Well It Should Be!! Grand Tetons National Park

Mormon Row!  Amazing!  Awesome abandoned, historic structures set against the most beautiful backdrop one can imagine.  It's a photographer's dream!  For very good reason.  

But as usual, click the links below to see the rest of our amazing adventure!

The Beginning

Grand Tetons - Elks, Cranes, and Amazing Vistas

Tetons - Jenny Lake, Foxes, and Grizzly Bears

Jackson Hole - Bison, Horses, and Gorgeous Views

And now, back to Mormon Row.  To read more about the area, click HERE for the National Park Service article and HERE for the Wikipedia page.

This beautiful area is just off of Antelope Flats road and well worth a stop even if you aren't a photographer or barn lover. 

And there's more than just one barn.  There was a whole settlement here from the 1890s.  This is the Thomas Murphy Barn.

Mormon Row - Thomas Murphy Barn - Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

On the day I was there, they were working on the "Pink House" and I later saw a video (which I can't find now) of it being moved. Apparently, they began preservation work on June 16th per this article in the Gillette News Record.  Since I didn't get a shot of the work and house, here is one in the article:

Photo credit:  Ryan Dorgan News & Guide

But the shots of the other settlement buildings I got made me pretty happy. :)

I'm not sure of if this house has a name or known affiliation. 

Mormon Row Abandoned House Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming


This next shot is the John Moulton Barn beside the Pink House.  I took this from a ways down the road and had to photoshop out the cab of a Semi that was sitting there to work on the Pink House which is one reason the "emphasis" of the photo is on the tree, but I still like it. 

John Moulton Barn Next to The Pink House Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

This is one of my absolute favorite shots.  This was on the far side of the settlement and there was no one over there while I was there.  Most everyone was around the Pink House and the famous Moulton Barn.  

I walked through the field full of bison paddies and twisted and crouched to get a lower, weirder, perspective.  Then I desaturated a bit.  I love it.

Abandoned Structure on Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

 And this is it.  

The most photographed barn 'in the world' (I do not attest to the veracity of this statement). And this is the shot most similar to everyone else's shots.  Although there are some amazing shots out there during the different seasons, with bison, etc.  But this is the basic shot and angle. 

Most Photographed Barn in the World - Moulton Barn Grand Tetons National Park Mormon Row


And then there's this take.  Shot from the other end of the road, through the trees.  I love it. 

Most Photographed Barn in the World - Moulton Barn Grand Tetons National Park Mormon Row


And here's a meta shot of what the experience is really like!

Photographers taking pictures of the Moulton Barn Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Earlier, there were as many as 15 people outlining the barn with even more trying to get some distance shots from further away. Good luck with that!

Just down the road, I was lucky enough to see a couple of lovely Pronghorn Antelope!

Pronghorn Antelope near Mormon Row Moulton Barn Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Pronghorn Antelope near Mormon Row Moulton Barn Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming


Raven on Abandoned Buildings Black and White Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Raven on Abandoned Buildings Black and White Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Raven on Abandoned Buildings Black and White Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Raven on Abandoned Buildings Black and White Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

Raven on Abandoned Buildings Black and White Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

My last shot for the day...of course one final view of the Moulton Barn - this time shot from even further away.  

Moulton Barn Mormon Row Grand Tetons National Park Jackson Hole Wyoming

And that does it for my visit to Mormon Row!  In the next post we'll return to Jackson and visit the National Museum of Wildlife Art!

xoxo

Nikon D600 and D7200