About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Monday, April 17, 2017

My Easter Story (A Mini-Post)

I was going to go to church (which one was to be determined) for Easter Sunday, but I was feeling a bit anti-social, so I decided to do what always makes me feel closer to my Creator - head outdoors. 

I put on the local Christian music station, KLOVE, and headed out to Stonelakes National Wildlife Refuge feeling very thankful for my personal, strong relationship with my Savior and looking forward to what I might find on this beautiful Easter morning. 

This isn't going to be a typical Easter story.  It's going to be a Jeanette Easter story, which means that some will find it offensive and some will find some quirky charm to it.  Sorry but not sorry if you're the former. 

I walked along in the cloudy, misty morning, along the paths of the NWR thinking of what Jesus' sacrifice means to me and for me.  I was accompanied by what seemed to be hundreds of birds - mostly red-winged blackbirds - and a few humans also walked along the path.  

I was by myself when I saw a Killdeer who apparently had a broken wing.  My first thought was "Oh! It's my Easter egg hunt!" because Killdeer mama's who are leading you away from a nest pretend to have a broken wing.

I let her lead me away but went behind a tree and took a photo of the eggs in the nest before she walked back over to sit on them. 




I walked out of the area thinking of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs by MxPx, a pop-punk band out of Washington.  One of my favorite songs of theirs is "You Make Me, Me" and some of the lyrics say:

"These days so few seem to have faith,
in the Son of Man and in His Grace.
I feel Your breath upon my face,
as You replace my broken wing."

As I continued to walk back towards my car, I was thinking of Jesus and my own personal faith and what Easter means to me, when I rounded a corner on the path and there was the Easter Bunny!


I literally said out loud as I raised my camera "Hi Easter Bunny!" and was quite surprised when the bunny not only did not run away, it started hopping towards me as if to say Hi! back!


I thank my Heavenly Father for all of my wonderful adventures, but especially when he throws some special thoughts and jokes my way!  

I got in my car and drove towards the Cosumnes River Preserve and as I was driving down Franklin Blvd, I suddenly started seeing the Cross in every telephone pole that went by.  I was moved to stop and take a photo because I just kept getting all of these reminders that today was Easter and my Redeemer lives!


As I got turned around to walk back to my car, I had a feeling that I was being watched over and not just by my Heavenly Father!  I turned and there was a little lamb in the farmer's field across the street who had run away from the protection of his mother to have a look at me.


The picture is a little blurry because I was honestly so moved.  This little lamb stared at me for a minute as I stared back and then he let out a little baaahh and kicked up his heels and ran back to his mother.  

I just said a little prayer of thanks for the reminder that the Lamb of God had taken the sin from the world on that first Easter day.  With that, I got back in my car and headed to I-5, but I was moved, once again to stop.  As I turned the corner onto Hood-Franklin Road, the first thing that caught my eye was a cross on top of a grave.  


And a bible verse was brought to mind in Isaiah, 25:8 (which I'll be honest, I had to look up when I got home) which says:

"He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces."

"I know that my Redeemer lives.  
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives! He lives who once was dead!
He lives, my ever living Head.

He lives to bless me with his love!
He lives to plead for me above!
He lives, my hungry soul to feed,
He lives to bless in time of need."  ~~ Words by SamuelMedley

I'm very quiet about my faith.  And I was moved to post this because I believe that being Christian means being kind and loving your fellow man.  Trying to be the best person I can be, especially to my fellow humans and this world we have been given.

This is a very scary time and I am dismayed to see how religion is being used by all sides to breed hate and distrust.  I know I am a daughter of God and my duty is to please Him and live by His teachings and example as best I can.  

You won't often hear me preach, but I just felt like I was given signs while I was out contemplating Easter and this world and my role in it so I needed to post whatever came together while remembering my Easter morning.  

I'll leave you with one thing which I truly believe:

God is Love

xoxo

Nikon D3300