About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Legs for Days! It's Leg Day at the Merced Wildlife Refuge. 2/20/16

And we're back.  One of the major draws of the Merced National Wildlife Refuge is that it sits in the migratory path of fairly large groups of Lesser Sandhill Cranes. These large, gray birds join herons, stilts, and egrets (tons of egrets!) in the long-legged group of birds that make the reserve their winter home. 

Right around the first turn of the auto loop, I encountered this beauty hunting. This is a Great Egret, non-breeding (if my searches don't deceive me). 



Success!  He caught something.  Honestly, he may be a breeder...the way to tell is that they have extra "feathery" plumage, which he seems to have some of.  I'll let you decide. 

I love this black and white of him and his foot.  Love I say. 

Warning, this is not a good photo.  But because of that stupid tour bus behind me (see previous post if you need more detail), I felt rushed.  So it's blurry.  

But this was the only Cattle Egret that I saw all day.  These cute little guys don't have long legs like their cousins, but since he's a member of the family, this is where he fits. 

This next group of photos also has my eternal love and devotion.  I just love the birds in them, Black-necked Stilts, but I also love the water and reflections.  Bella!


Adorable bubble-gum stick legs!

Below is a Great Blue Heron.  Slightly blurry.  *sigh* This guy was one of two that I saw, but neither was very keen about having their picture taken and wouldn't stand still.  I really need an autofocus zoom lens!!

After leaving the marsh area, I got my first glimpse of the Lesser Sandhill Cranes.  You can see them in the next photo in the field under the cloud of geese. 

These graceful creatures were also a bit on the shy side.  The Refuge tells you that most birds and animals are used to cars and, by staying in your car, it acts as a blind.  These guys did not like my car.  They walked slowly but assuredly away from my vehicle, even if I parked for awhile.  

These three did fly in front of my car though, from one field to the next. 




Here one comes into land with his friends. 

With their scarlet masks, grey and ochre feathers, and long legs and necks, they are quite striking. 


The cranes shared this field with a plethora of ground squirrels.  More about them in my next post along with other mammals and the landscape of the Refuge.

The last long-legged birds sighted on the auto loop that day were more Great Egrets.  And when I say more, I mean more!  Lots more.  Entire fields full.  It was so cool!

Looked like the latest crop!



I think that was the bachelor's field.  They all looked pretty sleek...no wispy breeding plumage in sight. 

So much fun seeing all these wonderful creatures!  Some of these birds, especially the Great Blue Heron, look like dinosaur throwbacks.  It's just amazing that they evolved from two-legged, meat-eating dinos and still have some resemblance to them.  

As Spock would say...Fascinating.  Yes, I am a nerd at heart. 

xoxo