About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Gotta Get Away - Rancho to the Pacific Ocean 1/17/15



Lots of stuff happening lately.  LOTS of stress (when doesn't my life have lots of stress would be the better question).  I was originally going to drive to visit my family in Washington this weekend, but due to the turn of events I needed to be somewhat close to home.  

But I REALLY needed to get away.  Just get out and drive and listen to music and restore my soul with some heavenly beauty.  That's my relaxation.  So I headed West towards that blue and green wonderland known as the California coastline with my camera and Ipod to keep me company.

My first view of the ocean was amazing.  It was warm enough to walk around in a tshirt (not always the case on a NorCal beach).  Foggy, but with that slight brightness that tells you the sun is just behind the marine layer. 


There were quite a few people on the beach above which was near Jenner. 
Not really what I was looking for, so I drove a mile or so north to a more secluded location.



The surf was up and strong.  But the cormorants didn't seem to mind too much. 


The waves hitting the rocks were massive!


Moving on to my next beach, just slightly down the coast...More cormorants! And seagulls.  :-) 


The view back along the coast was magnificent with the slight fog and beautiful cliffs. 


But this seagull was not impressed.


At my next beach, I decided to brave the semi-steep cliff trail to search for agates and shells.  I found a few moonstones and some California jade, but the only shells I found were mussels.  That's not to say they aren't beautiful though! 


One of the first things I noticed were several turkey vultures hanging around on one of the surrounding hill sides.  This picture looks like I was on LSD.  haha  It turned out weird because I hit a wrong button while editing and I thought I'd leave it that way. 


I walked down pretty close to the water, but the surf was up and, to be honest, I wasn't keen on being taken out by a sleeper wave.  That happens a few times a year it seems like.  


The rule is if the sand is wet, it'll be wet again shortly.  And almost the entire little beach was wet, so I was a bit nervous.

But I kept walking about looking for my agates. 


Unfortunately, although I loved my little beach, I wish I would have stayed on one side of it.  As I walked around a sea stack near the water, I saw a bunch of turkey vultures and crows milling about in the far corner.  

Of course, I see a bird and want to take it's picture so I walked closer...only to realize that, of course, the large presence of turkey vultures on the beach and cliff could only mean one thing.  Something to eat. And it was.  A. Deer.  So freaking sad and hard to see.  But I reminded myself it's the circle of life.  

What more than likely happened was that the deer was hit by a car on Highway 1 which was fairly close to the cliff at that point.  And fell down onto the beach.  Of course, the beach I chose.  SMH  

I tried to blur out the sad part of the picture but on this sad note, I'll end for now.  Hakuna Matata

  


xoxo