About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Friday, July 30, 2010

Mets Madness Part II!

The second day of our Mets adventure started out a bit blah...got in a bit of a tiff over a waffle.  I do not kid.  But I reigned in my temper and got out of there without slitting the bitch's throat. 

We got the hell out of Brisbane and headed back to Union Square so that A could buy something that she wished she had bought the day before.  I didn't feel like walking to Anthropologie with her so I hung out on the Square to people watch. 

I stared wistfully at the Burger Bar, thinking of my missed opportunity with Chef Hubert Keller. 

We sat right about where the white shirt is sitting.
After A finished her shopping, we had to head over to Oakland to go to Hockey Xport.  I wish I had a picture of the dude who works/manages there.  I have a serious crush on this guy.  Sandy hair, blue eyes, hockey player build.  He's yum.  And he remembered me from the last time I was there, which was in April.  But I know why he did and it wasn't because he thought I was yum.  But I digress...



A bought her alternate women's jersey and had it sent for Pavs personalization and we headed over to Jack London Square to get a bite to eat. 

We ate on the patio at Bocanova, which bills itself as a Pan-American grill.  We had just missed the lunch service by 1/2 hour, so we decided to order a few things off of the happy hour menu.  Turned out to be a fortuitous occurrence and we delighted in sharing:
  • Dungeness Crab Deviled Eggs—chipotle aioli
  • Beef, Currant & Green Olive Empanadas, tomatillo sauce
  • Halibut Ceviche—tomato, zucchini, mango, cilantro & aji amarillo
 Everything was delicious; I really enjoyed the ceviche which was served with plantain chips.  The view was beautiful as well, with the sailboats swaying in the marina and a lone paddleboarder enjoying the calm water.

It was a good thing we had a bite to eat before heading back to the City because traffic was pretty bad and neither of us had eaten since way earlier that morning.  We headed straight for the ballpark so we could get there for batting practice. 

I may have mentioned that there is a semi-private bathroom for our seats and it's located next to the visiting clubhouse door.  I was waiting for A in the hallway outside the bathroom when David Wright walked past me...so I had my priorities straight and abandoned my kid to go to the field.  I LOVE watching athletes stretch and warm up.  Doesn't matter the sport, location, etc.  There is just something about it. 

So I stood in the first row, taking pictures, and wondering where the hell A was!  Seriously, I was down there so long that I started worrying that she was kidnapped or lost in the bowels of the stadium. 

I was just starting up the aisle when she appeared at the tunnel entrance.    Turns out that the clubhouse security guy was bored and struck up a nice, loooooonnng conversation with her.  lol  At least she got to see players going in and out.

Right before she came down, the Mets equipment manager took a pair of used batting gloves and tossed them to this young girl right next to me.  She was about 12 and was wearing a Mets shirt.  Of course I was majorly jealous. 

See, I didn't have parents who took me to sporting events when I was a kid.  I didn't even realize one could drive to Oakland to see a major league game until I was 22 (yes, I am naturally blonde).  At that point, I started going regularly and taking my daughter.  But I think that's why taking photos, etc., is so important to me.  I don't really go for autographs or catching foul balls, etc., but I'm very excited if I have the chance to do so.  I have a great, sad story about a game where Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson threw me a ball.  Twice.  The first one didn't quite make the fence where I was standing. So Huddy threw another and I stupidly tried to catch it with one hand (camera in the other hand).  Bounced off my palm and back onto the field.  They laughed.  *sob*  lmao!  I was just happy they tried. 

Anyway, back on track...  So I was giving the eye to the equiment dude and A FINALLY comes down to me.  I told her about the youngster and the gloves and jokingly (I swear!) motioned like I was waving for the guy to throw me the other pair in his hands.  A turns to me and says "he's not going to throw them..." and BAM the pair of gloves hits her in the chest.  Yay!!  I told her it helps that she looks 15 and she's cute. 

the dirty - but beloved - gloves
 Did I mention me likey players stretching??


 And skipping...


 And telling stories and jokes...

Oh, and actually warming up for the game too.


Barry Zito was pitching.  He's hot.  And I love him.  I forgive him for leaving the A's and sucking pitching for the Gnats, but A doesn't. 

What a stud.  I'm glad he's having a good year.  We had a great time.  It was fucking freezing though, so we didn't stay for the fireworks.  But they did look beautiful as we were driving over the Bay Bridge...they were exploding just under the marine layer and turning the fog purple, green, pink.  Sooo pretty. 

Of course I have moarrr picturezzz .