About Me

My photo
Proud single mom of one beautiful daughter who shares my love of sports and music. She doesn't share my love of the outdoors which I find weird. I love photography and wish I had a better camera!! Maybe someday...

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ocean Breathes Salty - Walking Amongst the Sutro Baths 6/1/13

But first, a weird video for your viewing...errrr...pleasure?


Just because weirdness seems to fit here.  I mean, who would take some of the most beautiful coastline, build several amazing swimming pools, and then enclose it in a big ugly building, right?

To see exactly what I'm talking about, VISIT THIS AMAZING WEBPAGE. I mean, I do get it...and it's fascinating, really.  But in my little fantasy world if I had all that money and could do something like this, I would have at least left some of it open to the gorgeous vistas.

But I'm digressing before I even get started!  The point is...there aren't many places in the USA where you can go walk amongst crumbling ruins of a fantasy.  

Ladies and gents, I give you the Sutro Baths.  

That is the view that greets you from the parking lot.  It's hard to picture the place as it once was.  But fun to try.

It's not for the faint of heart...to get down to the actual site, you have to traverse a LOT of steps.


Even the hike down offers gorgeous views.
There is only one building that is still distinguishable as such.
And please don't die while you're visiting.  
That's kind of a bummer for everyone concerned.
Who knew manky water could be so beautiful?
Birds knew apparently.


This guy followed me around for awhile...
I was hoping he wasn't going to attack me. 
He didn't. )))
The views on all sides are truly amazing.  
Northern California coastline...so gorgy.

This side is off-limits now. It's in the process of crumbling into the ocean.  But you can see what a major complex this once was.
And this?  So amazing.  
This is one of my favorite pictures from the day.  
Even the seepage is astonishingly colorful.
More birds!  I flove pelicans...and here's an entire colony!

What goes well with the brilliant ocean, sky, and rocks?  
How about a tunnel to nowhere?
In the olden days, it did go somewhere...the other end is now roped off over an extremely rocky beach.  But it's a cool looonnng tunnel for a nice interlude that completely contrasts (obviously) with being in the bright sun.

About halfway through is a cave within the cave.  
I really wanted to climb down there, but I respected the chains and the fact that I'm a horrible klutz who would have broken a limb at the very least.  

Plus, I'm quite convinced there was something very scary down there.

Meanwhile, back out in the light...
 Another cave, but this one is in the off-limits area.
I headed back up the never-ending stairs to walk along the clifftop trail.  

And saw this cute little guy on my way up!!  
 Look at those TEETH!  Yikes... 
I'd hate to have that bite me on the ankle.
How about some good ol' California driftwood and scenery?




 !!!BIRD!!!


So pretty.  What a wonderful day this turned out to be.  I'll treasure it always.  

xoxo